Newbury Township Hall


site search by freefind advanced

About Zoning in Newbury Ohio

Zoning activities include the creation, amendment, interpretation, and enforcement of the Newbury Township Zoning Resolution. Zoning activities are funded from the township general fund, into which is deposited zoning permit fees, and hearing application fees. Contact: Zoning Office, 440-564-5997 ext. 1, or at  (Please type "zoning" in the subject line)

Zoning – Office hours Monday, Tuesday and Friday 7:00AM to 2:00PM or by appointment

Newbury Township Zoning FAQs

Welcome to the Newbury Township website zoning page. Following is a list of frequently asked questions. If your question is not there, please call the Zoning Office, 440-564-5997 ext. 1,

Do new businesses need to register with the Township?

Businesses moving into Newbury need to apply for a use permit. It is in the permitting process that it is determined that the proposed use is permitted at a given location and the business is registered with the township.

Do I need a permit to move or put up a sign?
New signs require a sign permit. If an old sign is moved to a new location on a property a permit is required although no permit is required to simply change the text of an old sign as long as the size and location do not change.

Where can I get a zoning permit application?
The applications for zoning permits are available at Newbury Town Hall located at 14899 Auburn Rd. A draft application is available at the bottom of this site to help residents determine what information they need before filling out the paper application. Only the official permit applications will be accepted by the zoning inspector.

Do I need a permit to conduct a garage sale?
Garage sales in Newbury require a yard sale permit, which is issued  free of charge and outlines the rules involved in conducting a yard sale.

Two sales are permitted per property each year.
Nothing is to be located in the road right of way, including signs.
Signs are not to be posted on utility poles or in the right of way.
Within twenty-four hours of the conclusion of the sale, all items must be removed from outside display.

Do I need to submit an application to remodel a structure, build a shed, a garage, or a barn?
Any structure with a roof requires a zoning permit application to be submitted, including but not limited to garages, houses, pole barns including structures for agricultural uses, and storage buildings. Decks and porches covered or not require a Zoning Certificate and a Building Permit.

May I run a business from my home?
Some businesses are permitted in residential homes. A home business requires a home occupation permit and a conditional use. Anyone needing further information on the permitting process may contact the zoning department at Newbury Town Hall (440-564-9220).

Do I need a permit to erect a fence?
No permit is necessary to build a fence although it is recommended that enough area is left open on both sides of the fence to allow for maintenance without trespassing onto neighboring property. Fences may not be in the right of way or block clear sight for drivers on roads. Additionally fences must be maintained in such a way that they are not unsafe, unsightly or be in danger of falling down.

How do I contact the zoning inspector?
Mike Joyce, the Newbury Township Zoning Inspector, may be contacted at the Newbury Town Hall at 440-564-9220.

Convenient links

Thanks to the dedication and hard work of the Newbury Township Zoning Commission and the Zoning Inspector the Zoning Resolution was updated effective August 14, 2009.  If you have any questions about the changes please call the Zoning office at 440-564-5997 ext. 1.

The zoning permit worksheet link will bring up a draft of a form. It is a little ugly and, yes, we know it is crooked. However, if you print it out it will help you know what answers you need when you fill out the paper form (available in the drop box at the foot of the backstairs of the town hall.)

Also, if you are trying to download the Land Use Plan be aware it is a huge document and takes some time to open on your computer.

Zoning officials

Zoning Department
Inspector Mike Joyce – (440) 564-5997 ext. 1,
Secretary Marge Hrabak – (440) 564-5997 ext. 1,

Board of Zoning Appeals
Chris Yaecker, 2017
Lewis Tomsic, 2018
Ed Meyers, Chairman 2020
Mary Lee Brezina, 2018
Karen Endres,, 2020
Marge Hrabak, secretary

Zoning Commission
ZC Mike Nelson 2022, Vice Chairmen
Jerry Hudak 2021, Chairmen
Steve Boughner, 2020
Tricia Hajma, Alternate, 2017
Ed Deiulls, Alternate, 2019
Zoning Meetings

Wed, March 15, 2017

Wed, March 15, 2017

Sat, March 30, 2013

Wed, February 13, 2013

Wed, January 30, 2013



Newbury Ohio • 14899 Auburn Road • P.O. Box 257 • Newbury, OH 44065